Growing Stronger

Its been two months since it all happened, 
Since the storm consumed the sky,
since the day I looked to the face of good,
with tremoring hands and a scratchy throat,
screaming only one word,
"why?"

I feel the day I experienced loss,
was the day I stopped believing,
in something that millions of people devoted their lives too,
in something that thousands of women gave their time too,
in something that hundreds of families give their thanks too,
in something that I only wished to say goodbye too,

That thing was God.


My heartbroken but naive mind could only wonder,
why would someone who created
this world with such beauty,
rip apart people's lives,
and watch their tear-stained cheeks
and shaking hands with such cruelty.

it was months and months of trying to fix myself,
trying to not cry in public
to push the soul-wrenching nightmares away,
trying to control the hurt with little success,
but weeping about it anyway.

it drove me insane till I questioned,
" will I ever get better? "
my eyes widened as I realized,
I would have to do the last option,
on my list altogether.

so I bowed down to the carving of stone,
that I hadn't touched in months,
and prayed.
prayed with every fiber of my being,
prayed not for my mother, not for my father,
but every word that came out of my mouth was for me.

it's then when you truly lose something,
that you realize how much has changed,
that moment where I lay on the floor 
with my hands clasped together,
I realized I wasn't crying for the woman I lost,
but for the grief that came to soon,
but for the innocence that that bid me adieu.

I thought I wasn't going to be all right again,
I wasn't going to be able to pick my broken self,
and push the pieces back together.
But I have come to know that,
strength is something you get acquainted with through pain, 
and that truth for me is more golden than any treasure.

~ Ananya Singhal 

Comments

  1. Absolutely inexplicably poignant and at the same time so beautiful!! So proud of u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally speechless, your poem gave me goosebumps. Incredible writing at this age.Ananya proud of you my darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful...it's a story actually...story of a loss story of losing belief and hence part of self, story of gathering your pieces, story of braving the pain, of coping up and most beautifully it's a very personal story of losing and finding yourself.

    When we feel loss, we feel wronged and feel pain but as u rightly said that strength also comes along with pain

    And the pain that you are able to overcome, makes u stronger.

    Friedrich Nietzsche has also said " What does not kill us, makes us stronger".

    More than being happy that my daughter wrote this beautiful piece...I am happy that my daughter found herself again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speechless..... As I feel you actually possess the trait of writing of MOM ...as she use to write...you are blessed she is with u....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts