A Teacher's Monologue

 

*This poem is one of the winners of the 'Let's Pen a Poem' poetry competition.

.........................................................................................................................................



One by one each hand shoots up in the air.

With Unruly hair, wide eyes and pink palms waving in the air.

Each one of you hold a special spark which I see every day.

Inquisitiveness, curiosity or burning passion not willing to be kept at bay.

 

Then there are some days that you are different.

When the light is lost and fingers remain clenched in fists.

When eyes are cast down and mind swarming with conflicts.

That’s when I step forward and tell you that,

even though many tell you life is a race,

what really matters is that you run at your own pace.

 

I remember each of your names and each of your seats,

where you carved your names and how each of you had your own defeats.

And when you come back years later,

and sit in the places and perform the same sophistry,

I can’t help but hold my breath and let my eyes become misty.

 

They all tell me that I didn’t teach them letters, phonetics or facts about kings and queens.

But rather they tell me with ecstasy that I taught them dreams.

They talk with me for hours with their faces beaming,

and then I realize,

What they learned is something I don’t remember teaching.


~ Ananya Singhal



Comments

  1. The fact that the poem is written in the shoes of the teacher hits your heart right at the right spot.It makes us wonder about our teachers who taught us with heart and soul.It is a inexplicable piece of art.Great Work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much. Coming from someone who's writing I am inspired by this comment really touched me.

      Delete
  2. the fact that this is poem is the winner of " lets pen a poem"poetry competition is not surprising. It is a very beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful poem! Comparing this to my own, I sense a completely different and beautiful approach. The last line is such an amazing impact, that really touches you and leaves you in awe of your talent. Keep writing. It's truly an honor to know you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your compliment means a lot to me. I wish to read your poetry too someday! Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts